Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Prophetic Books (continued)

2. Foretelling future events. When people hear the word “prophet,” the first thing that comes to mind is someone who foretells the future. Prophecy is often associated with prediction. Most people believe all a prophet did was inform people of something that would happen in the future. That is not the case. Prophets spoke of future events only occasionally. The majority of their messages were forthtelling - declarations from God (see above) – not foretelling. The future events being foretold took place within hours (ex. Daniel chapter 5), days, or years after the message was proclaimed. There are some future events that have yet to happen. Foretelling future events had four themes for the people they were addressed to.

Punishment - When speaking God’s words of judgment, the prophets would sometimes inform the people how God would carry out his wrath, usually conquest by a foreign power.

Habakkuk 1:5-7, 12
Look at the nations and watch—and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told. I am raising up the Babylonians, that ruthless and impetuous people, who sweep across the whole earth to seize dwelling places not their own. They are a feared and dreaded people; they are a law to themselves and promote their own honor …. O LORD, you have appointed them (Babylonians) to execute judgment; O Rock, you have ordained them (Babylonians) to punish

Restoration – God would spare from His wrath a remnant with whom He would re-establish a relationship.

Jeremiah 29:10-14
This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Homework assignment. Read Jeremiah 32:26-44. Identify examples of punishment and restoration in Jeremiah’s message to the Southern Kingdom of Judah.

No comments: