Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book of Job pt. 4

3) Read Job 19:7-21. In your own words, what did Job say? God is to blame for all that has happened to me. He is angry with me for some reason. God treats me as if I am His enemy. My brothers, acquaintances - people who know me, my relatives, my close friends, my servants, my wife, young children, people with whom I have done business … they have all abandoned me. They have ostracized me. I am a pariah to them. I’m nothing more than flesh and bones. Please, I beg you, my friends. Show me pity for God is not.

4) From reading these verses, how would you describe Job's emotional and spiritual state? Indescribable agony. Extreme despair. Why did he feel this way? God had destroyed his life. The God that he faithfully served and obeyed … the God whose hands showered Job with blessings, those same hands had struck Job down. God’s actions against Job have left him isolated/alone. No one will have anything to do with him. When Job questioned the fairness/justice of what God has done to Job (vs. 7), no one answers. He cries out for sympathy, but no one will give him any which only deepens his despair.

5) Read the following verses.

What questions did Job have for God? Have you ever asked these questions to God?

Job 7: 17-21
Why is man so important to you? Why do you test man?
Compared to the vastness of the universe, man is a speck of dust. Compared to God, man is a microscopic bacterium. Yet God has a high regard for man; God focuses a lot of his attention on man. He regularly seeks man out to test him/scrutinize/analyze/study him. Job wants to know why?
What sin have I committed to deserve such punishment?
If I sinned, why won’t you forgive me?
Why am I your enemy?
Why can’t I know rest?

Job 10:1-3
What do you have against me?
Is it right for God to reject the righteous and look favorably upon those who are unrighteous? Questioning God’s justice. Directing accusations towards God.

Job 13:20-24
What sin have I committed to deserve such punishment?
Why want you answer me God? Why are you silent to my cries for answers/relief?

Job 17:1, 11-16
Where is my hope? Who cares about me?

Job 21:2-7
Is my complaint addressed to man or to God?
Why should I not be impatient (for a response from God?
Why do the wicked go through life unpunished? Not only unpunished but they are enjoying the good life.

How soon do you suppose Job wanted God to answer his questions? Job 21:2-7
Now. I don’t want to wait until after I’m dead for my complaint to be addressed/to be justified. I want an answer now. I deserve an answer now.

Did God answer Job's questions? Job 13:20-24 - No.

Did Job expect his questions to be answered? Did he expect to be found guiltless of any wrongdoing? Job 16:6-22; Job 19:23-27

Job 7:17-21
What is man that You magnify him, and that You are concerned about him, that You examine (pay close attention to) him every morning and try (test, scrutinize) him every moment? Will You never turn Your gaze away from me, nor let me alone until I swallow my spittle? Have I sinned? What have I done to You, O watcher of men? Why have You set me as Your target, so that I am a burden to myself? Why then do You not pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity? For now I will lie down in the dust; and You will seek me, but I will not be.

Job 10:1-3
I loathe my own life; I will give full vent to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. I will say to God, do not condemn me; let me know why You contend with me. Is it right for You indeed to oppress, to reject the labor of Your hands, and to look favorably on the schemes of the wicked?

Job 13:20-24
Only two things do not do to me, then I will not hide from Your face: Remove Your hand from me, and let not the dread of You terrify me. Then call, and I will answer; or let me speak, then reply to me. How many are my iniquities and sins? Make known to me my rebellion and my sin. Why do You hide Your face and consider me Your enemy?

Job 16:6-22
Yet if I speak, my pain is not relieved; and if I refrain, it does not go away. Surely, O God, you have worn me out; you have devastated my entire household. You have bound me—and it has become a witness; my gauntness rises up and testifies against me. God assails me and tears me in his anger and gnashes his teeth at me; my opponent fastens on me his piercing eyes. Men open their mouths to jeer at me; they strike my cheek in scorn and unite together against me. God has turned me over to evil men and thrown me into the clutches of the wicked. All was well with me, but he shattered me; he seized me by the neck and crushed me. He has made me his target; his archers surround me. Without pity, he pierces my kidneys and spills my gall on the ground. Again and again he bursts upon me; he rushes at me like a warrior. I have sewed sackcloth over my skin and buried my brow in the dust. My face is red with weeping, deep shadows ring my eyes; yet my hands have been free of violence and my prayer is pure. O earth, do not cover my blood; may my cry never be laid to rest! Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend. Only a few years will pass before I go on the journey of no return.

Job 17:1, 11-16
My spirit is broken, my days are extinguished, the grave is ready for me …. My days are past, my plans are torn apart, even the wishes of my heart. They make night into day, saying, “the light is near,” in the presence of darkness. If I look for Sheol as my home, I make my bed in the darkness; if I call to the pit, 'You are my father'; to the worm, 'my mother and my sister'; where now is my hope? And who regards my hope? Will it go down with me to Sheol? Shall we together go down into the dust?

Job 19:23-27
Oh that my words were written! Oh that they were inscribed in a book! That with an iron stylus and lead they were engraved in the rock forever! As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God; whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another. My heart faints within me!

Job 21:2-7
Listen carefully to my speech, and let this be your way of consolation. Bear with me that I may speak; then after I have spoken, you may mock. As for me, is my complaint to man? And why should I not be impatient? Look at me, and be astonished, and put your hand over your mouth. Even when I remember, I am disturbed, and horror takes hold of my flesh. Why do the wicked still live, continue on, also become very powerful?

Read Job chapters 29 & 30
Chapter 29 – Job talks about how great his life used to be – He and God were tight. God looked after him; Job reaped the blessings of God; his children were alive; people showed him respect; took care of the needy; Job wore righteousness; no one could say ill of him; he punished the wicked; when Job would die, it would be a good death - Job would leave behind a strong legacy.

Chapter 30 – Job talks about detestable/repugnant his life is now – He is no longer respected; those to whom he showed disdain (who deserved disdain) now despise him. Those who despise Job are taking advantage of his suffering to make his life even more miserable. They have taken from him whatever honor & wealth he has left. Job is experiencing tremendous physical pain. Blames God for his suffering. When Job cries out to God for an answer/for relief, he gets no response. I helped others who were in need. For all the good that I have done, in return I get evil. Consequently, Job feels anger and despair. Questions the fairness/justice of God.

8) If you were one of Job's friends, what would you say to him?

No comments: